Saturday, May 18, 2013

Our Little Princess: Update...FINALLY

Here are the next few days all in one big post.  Sorry it’s a lot, we are trying to catch up.

May 14

As we had mentioned in a previous post Kelli had been really dizzy and had started itching due to an allergic reaction to one of the pain killers they had put her on. Through the night the doctors and nurses finally had determined which pain killer was causing the itching and they took her off this medication. 

Midday on Tuesday Kelli was able to get up and walk around. She was still in pain and very sore from the previous day activities, none of which included Disney Land, beaches, sunsets, cartwheels, or ponies. Kelli finally started ordering real food from the hospital menu! Surprisingly the hospital food was really good. Kelli might just be saying this because she hasn't eaten anything in 36 hours other than saltines, Jell-O, and water.

Once Kelli was fed and drugged, we decided to take her over to the NICU for the first time. She was a little too excited and kept forgetting that she had just undergone major surgery less than a day ago. I had to keep reminding her to sit still and be patient.  The nurse brought us the wheel chair and we covered Kelli up with a sheet and a couple of hospital gowns, she looked like a cute little ole’ lady (no offense Grandma). As previously explained the route from one hospital to the other is all in doors and typically takes me 8-10 minutes to get from one side to the other. With Kelli situated and ready to go we set off for the NICU. I had to take it rather slow as she was still a little motion sick and every bump seemed like I was dealing her a death blow. I had to realize that I wasn’t writing a performance piece for Car and Driver, and I didn’t need to know how fast I could take the corners or how well the chair handled. So, instead we had a nice LONG trip to the NICU so Kelli could finally see her baby girl.

Mine and Kelli’s main purpose for visiting our baby was to name her. We wanted to see her and “study” her to see what name sounded right. While Kelli was in the recovery room, the prior day, she turned to me (while throwing up) and said what about Hannah? I told Kelli no, and we would talk about it tomorrow when we saw her. Once in the NICU, we pretty much knew instantly that she wasn’t a Mckynlee, like what had originally thought, or our second choice, Brooklyn. She was definitely a Hannah. I initially did not like that name very much and had abandoned the name about 4 months into the pregnancy, but it was clear while we were looking at her that her name was to be Hannah Marie Bennett. Some of you might be wondering why that name. Hannah is a random name that we liked (and now absolutely love!). Marie is my mother’s middle name and Bennett is my last name, which your kids typically take if your kids want an allowance.  

Our nursed explained to us how Hannah had done that evening. She had a number of apneic episodes where they would have to remind her when to breathe. In our previous blog post we mentioned this as well. The heart medication they have her on sometimes makes her forget to breathe. So they come over and coax her along. They haven’t had any major concern about this, but it is something they are trying to resolve before surgery. Other than that she held rather steady throughout the night.

On a daily basis a group of doctors, nurses, neonatologists, cardiologists, medical students, residents, and what seems like anyone else they can find to tag along, do their rounds in NICU. This typically happens around 10 AM. This group of 8-10 individuals crowd around the infants bed while someone reads off of her chart a summary of the previous day’s events. There is a lot of medical jargon that they throw around, but if you ask them what in the heck they are talking about they are very good about dumbing it down for a minute or so. I have found this is best opportunity to ask questions and get a quick and accurate response that is relevant to my baby. Google is great, but sometimes it makes sweeping assumptions across wide groups. This is really a cool meeting and makes me feel like they truly care about us. They know who we are and really want to ensure we know what is going on and have all of our questions answered. I think I am starting to understand why this hospital is in the top 1% in the Nation.

We hung out for a few more minutes, but had to get back because Kelli’s meds were wearing off and my parents were bring down bring brother Jack. We made the LONG trip back with Kelli, and 5 minutes later I went down to the Lobby to meet my parents and my boy. I hope that all parents will have the opportunity to experience what I experienced when Jack saw me. I heard him from across the room, “Daddy!!! Daddy!! Daddy!!! Daddy!! Daddy!!! Daddy!! Daddy!!! Daddy!! Daddy!!! Daddy!!” He is yelling this as he runs across the room while the entire lobby is watching the scene unfold. It was like something you would see in a movie but a million times better because it was happening to me. It is moments like this that I am thankful to know that families can be together forever and I will get to hear him say that for all eternity. Check out this awesome video if you want to understand why families are so awesome. Isn’t life amazing! Aren’t Families the Best!

Once upstairs Jack finally got to see his mommy.  Kelli: Jack walked in the door grinning from ear to ear saying my name.  He ran over to the bed and said “hold you!?”  He then looked at my hand (where my IV was) and said “OH NO, mommy owie?”  He then very gingerly lifted my hand into his and kissed my “owie all better”.  What a sweet little boy I have.  He kept asking to sit on the bed with me; unfortunately he wanted to jump on the bed and on mommy.  So we decided it was time to head over to see baby Hannah.  



Ethan: We left Kelli in her room because it is very exhausting for her to make one trip a day, let alone two.  I took my parents and Jack to visit baby Hannah.  Only two people are allowed by the bedside at a time, so Dad and I went back first. We stayed back there for 5 minutes or so. We gave her a Priesthood Blessing and went on our way. Mom stayed a little longer and took a lot more pictures. We finally had some time to look at her hair which unfortunately is not red, but like her Daddy’s, a nice beautiful brown color. Jack wasn’t able to visit his little sister because of age restrictions. They won’t let anyone under the age of 3 back into the NICU for a number of reasons I am sure. There are way too many button back there as well as little kids seem to be the walking plague. Every time our kids goes to play group, church, or the YMCA he comes homes with some random cough, rash, or some stomach virus that quickly spreads to every family in the entire city.
 Nana holding baby Hannah's hand

A peek of her hair

After visiting Hannah, I took my parents down to the Ronald McDonald House to show them how I was planning on surviving for the next month. They had a local church group that had brought in a delicious baked potato bar. We sat out in the courtyard on a perfect day and enjoyed the sunshine and the good food. We took a little tour of the place while mom took pictures of everything.

We came back to let my family say their goodbyes. My dad was flying out of Indianapolis back to Birmingham that afternoon and my mom was heading back to Fort Wayne with Jack. They left early afternoon and Kelli and I crashed the rest of the day. We hadn’t slept the prior night and we were totally drained both emotionally and mentally from all that had happened.

I went back over to Riley’s later that evening to eat dinner and see my baby girl again. I spent a couple hours over there learning how to take her temperature and clean her mouth out because of her feeding tube. I was able to ask a ton of questions about how the NICU functions and what we could expect over the coming weeks. Kelli called around 7 that night to tell me that the Ronald McDonald House outside of the hospital had called her to tell us that they had an opening and wondered if we wanted it. We jumped on the opportunity and ran over there to secure our room. This house, off the hospital campus, is only 2 blocks away from the entrance to the hospital. This is a very large house with close to 50 rooms and two very large kitchens. They provide a comfortable place to sleep, linens, food, laundry, and pretty much anything else you could think of for a suggested donation of $15 a day. Pretty amazing.

Kelli: Originally we told the Ronald McDonald house we wouldn’t need a room until the following night.  My nurse came running down the hall to my room and told me that the Ronald McDonald house just called and they were transferring the call up to my room.  She told me that I should accept the room at Ron’s even though we don’t technically need it just yet.  There is no guarantee that we would get a room the following night and she wanted us to secure ourselves a spot.  I would have told the lady on the phone that we didn’t need it yet if I had not gotten the advice from my nurse, Darla.  We found out later that the Ronald McDonald house filled 8 rooms that night, and thanks to Darla we were one of them.  I had the impression that if we would have said no, we wouldn’t have gotten a room.  So, thank you Darla for saving us from my stupidity and having to get a hotel.

Ethan: I went back after securing our spot at the Ronald McDonald house to check on Kelli and see Hannah one last time tonight.  I then went off to sleep on a real bed. Kelli and I decided I should sleep at Ron’s house tonight so that I could get a good night sleep.  The previous night I had slept on the fold out chair in the hospital room. Needless to say my back and I had some pointed conversations the following day. I finally settled down to sleep around midnight and don’t think I moved an inch all night.

May 15

We were able to go visit Hannah this morning.  We showed up just in time to talk with the cardiology team.  All the medical jargon is beginning to make sense.  They talked about how she still had trouble breathing last night, she had 6 apneic episodes and actually had one while we were standing there with the cardiology team.  One of the cardiologists was listening to her heart when she stopped breathing.  He tried to coax her into breathing again but she wouldn’t respond.  One of the other team members made the suggestion to flick her toes, which he did and Hannah started breathing again.  She then promptly started screaming at him.  It was a little nerve racking watching her apneic episode; it was the first one we actually witnessed.



Ethan: It was a short visit because Kelli was in a lot of pain and we needed to get her back to rest.  I was able to go back and visit Hannah later.  She had a stable and uneventful day, but it was a great daddy daughter night.  I stayed in the NICU for a few hours and really felt like I was able to bond with my little princess.

Kelli had a really rough night.  Her pain levels shot up to an 8 on a scale of 1-10; they hadn’t gone past a 4 the whole week.  We think she must have tried to do too much this week and she needed to really take it easy.  The nurse decided to change one of her pain killers, which seemed to have an immediate effect.  Kelli was able to rest as long as I stayed close, she asked me to sit at the foot of her bed while she fell asleep.  I decided to stay the night in the hospital so I was close at hand if she needed me.

May 16

I have taking my blog back from my hubby :).  He did a great job helping out, but I am starting to feel better.
This morning was a pretty slow morning; we did a lot of waiting around to be discharged from the hospital.  We thought it would be best to wait to go visit Hannah until after we were discharged.  We wanted to keep my physical activity to a minimum; however, being the big klutz that I am, I tripped on a cord and fell while I was headed to the bathroom.  It was a pretty graceful fall, if I do say so myself.  However, it was the most nerve racking falls.  I caught myself with my hands and knee, but I was sure I had messed something up.  I don’t think I have ever seen Ethan move so fast.  He jumped up and rushed to help me off the ground.  He repeatedly asked “are you alright?” followed by “are you sure?”  After the nurse closely examined everything, she said I was fine.  What a relief. That’s the last thing we need to deal with right now.  Thankfully everything was fine, just a little extra pain, and we were able to leave the hospital around 4 in the afternoon. 

We went straight to the NICU and found Hannah’s eyes open!  It was the first time we had seen her open her eyes.  It was hard to tell the color of her eyes in the dim lighting of the NICU, but I think they are dark blue like her brother and her daddy.  As we were sitting there talking to her, Hannah was trying so hard to stave off sleep.  Her eyes kept rolling back in her head and going cross eyed.  She wanted to stay awake because she heard mommy and daddy.  It was so fun to see that she recognizes our voices.
 Peek a boo



They were able to remove her arterial line today, an IV inserted into her umbilical cord.  This is used to monitor the blood pressure and to draw blood.  This is a very sensitive line and one of the reasons we weren’t allowed to hold her.  The nurse told us this had been removed, and then looked at me and asked if I wanted to hold her.  Grinning from ear to ear I nodded my head.  It was such an ordeal getting her out of her bed. It is a very tedious process making sure none of her tubes or IVs gets pulled out.  It took Ethan, me and the nurse to get Hannah and all her tubes out of her bed.  The nurse told me not to move too much because if her IVs.  She is still getting life sustaining medicine to keep her heart working through the IVs in her belly and it wouldn’t be good if those came out. 


I can’t even describe the emotions I felt as I held my little angel in my arms.  I had tears of joy running down my face as I looked at this little miracle that Heavenly Father had given to me.  What a blessing it was to be able to hold her, even though it was only for a short time. 

It is so fun talking to all the nurses and hearing their take on our daughter’s attitude.  They all say she is a sassy one.  She is constantly trying to pull her CPAP machine off her face.  Despite her sass all the nurses love her; they always comment on how cute she is.

Hannah is now getting my breast milk through the feeding tube.  The tube goes in her mouth straight into her stomach.  She has plenty of milk stored up because my milk came in today.  They are starting her out slow and she is getting 8 mL (.27 oz) every three hours.  They will slowly increase this as she learns to digest it. 

As we are sitting with our baby girl Dr. John W. Brown came up to talk with us.  He is the doctor that will be overseeing the surgery on Hannah.  It was so nice to meet the man that will be fixing our little girl.  He told us he wanted to schedule her surgery for Tuesday, May 21st.  He told us this surgery on a difficulty scale of 1-10 is a 7 or 8. He explained what they were going to do and the risks of the procedure. He also stressed that this is the only way that she has any chance of living. He said that they do roughly 15-25 of these procedures (Norwood Procedure) each year.  At the end of our conversation he said, “I won’t withhold any information from you, she is your daughter and you have the right to now.” He made sure we knew that he wasn’t going to sugar coat how the surgery went and what he thought her outlook would be long term. He is an older man and said that he would treat her as if she were one of his Grand Daughters.

When we got back to our room we looked him up on the internet and read that he is in the top 1% for heart doctors across the nation. Hannah is in good hands and her parents trust that her doctors will treat her as if she were one their own.

That night both of us went back to the Ronald McDonald house to sleep. It was wonderful to be out of a hospital bed and not get interrupted every 3 hours. Technically I still get up to take pain medication and pump, but I can be the one who determines when I will do that.

May 17

We went and saw Hannah this morning, it was a great morning for me; my pain had decreased dramatically and the itching was completely gone. 

Hannah was doing pretty well with the breast milk, she had some residual in her tummy (this is normal for newborns) after a few hours so they aren’t going to increase her feedings just yet. She was also off her CPAP machine.  She is still on a vapotherm machine, which she likes so much better.  It is two little prongs in her nose instead of the big bulky CPAP mask. 

No more mask!

I took a pain killer while at the hospital in hopes that I could stay with Hannah longer.  However, I started to feel very dizzy and nauseous so we had to leave and get me home to bed.  I took a 2 hour nap, but still didn’t feel 100% afterwards.  Shortly after I woke up I got a phone call from one of Hannah’s nurses; my heart immediately jumped into my chest for fear they were calling me to tell me something was wrong.  The nurse said “Hi is this Hannah’s mom?” I answered with a worried, yes (heart jumped into my chest).  “My name is Kelly; I am one of Hannah’s nurses.  Don’t worry; everything is fine, just breathe.”  It’s funny that the nurse knew her phone call would cause me to react the way I did.  She was calling to get consent on putting a PIC line into Hannah.  They want to do this because this type of central access IV can be used for long periods of time.  The IV in her belly is usually only good for a week.  She explained all of the risks and concerns, and I gave them my consent. 

Ethan decided I shouldn't go back to the hospital to see Hannah tonight so I could continue to recover.  I was very upset, but deep down I knew he was right.  I need to take care of myself if I am going to be able to take care of my baby. 

Ethan left to go to the store to get a few essentials and I decided to call the NICU and get an update on Hannah.  The nurse informed me that they were unsuccessful at getting the PIC line in.  Infants with HLHS typically have smaller veins, making it very difficult to put it in without it blowing the vein.  The nurse said that Hannah was very well behaved during the procedure which happens at her bedside.  Her nurse fed her “sweeties” (sugar water) while the nurse practitioner attempted to place the line.  I quickly thanked the nurse and hung up the phone because I was about to lose it big time.  I called Ethan sobbing and begged him to come home and get me so I could go up to the hospital and be with my baby.  I felt so guilty that I couldn’t be there for her and comfort her.  I thought she needed her mommy and was really struggling to understand why I couldn’t be there for her.  Thank goodness Ethan has his head on straight; he talked me off of the ledge.  He reminded me of how much pain I am in and promised that he would take lots of pictures for me while he was up there.  He was true to his word and brought me home some very cute pictures and a video! 



SMILE!


We now know that God has brought us to Indiana for a reason. To give our baby Hannah a fighting chance.  We are so grateful that we trusted in God when he told us to move here, we didn’t know at the time how big of an impact it would have on our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about Hannah. She is adorable!! Kelli, I am so glad you are getting better. Praying hard for you and little Hannah.

    ReplyDelete